Monday, April 11, 2016

Do You Like to be Right?

Who out there would answer 'Yes'? I don't think I'm an anomaly when I say I like to be right. A while back, I posted about misusing a particular word. (Go here to read about that experience.)

So, this morning I came across what I believe to be misinformation on an Instagram account. I don't want to get into a battle there, so I'm going to post here.

What is a Christian?

Random House Webster's College Dictionary defines it thus: adj 1. of, pertaining to, or derived from Jesus Christ or His teachings. 2. of, pertaining to, or adhering to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. 3. of or pertaining to Christians. 4. exhibiting a spirit proper to a follower of Jesus Christ, as in having a loving regard for others. 5. humane, decent, generous. --n. 6. a person who believes in Jesus Christ; an adherent of Christianity. 7. a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ.

The Christus at the SLC Visitor's Center

That seems pretty clear to me. Based on that definition, I am a Christian--and YES, I claim that, with all of my heart. I love Jesus Christ. I believe He is the son of God and my Savior and Redeemer. But based on mis-information, many people say I am NOT a Christian. In the end, it only really matters that God knows my heart, He knows I love Christ and want to do all I can to follow His teachings. I read the Holy Bible, but suddenly because I read the King James version, I'm not a Christian? Because I believe and read the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, I'm not a Christian? No, people, I AM a Christian. I am a follower of Christ. The church I belong to is called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--which is also known by nicknames like the Mormons or LDS.

But don't take my word for it. Check the Mormon Channel (@mormonchannel) on Twitter or click my What I Believe tab, or go to LDS.org. You can read about the humanitarian efforts here. I promise, the messages will uplift you and bring you closer to Jesus Christ, who is not only my Savior, but everyone's.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Book Sale!

Need some sweet romance to sigh your way through the holidays? Here you go: Merry Christmas and happy wishes for however you celebrate!